Wednesday, May 16, 2012

First Impressions

I'm getting braces!

Let me introduce myself.  I'm a 37-year-old mom of two who has wanted straight teeth for awhile.  My front teeth protrude quite a bit -- that's something that's happened in the last ten years.  I'm also unhappy with the crowding on my bottom teeth. I decided on the Six Month Smile when my dentist suggested them as an easier route than traditional braces.

Here's some more information on the particular braces I'm having put on:http://www.6monthsmiles.com/

And a link to my dentist's website: http://smileschanginglives.com/


Today, I had my impressions done.  Now, for those of you who aren't familiar with that term, impressions are what a dentist and orthodontist use to see what your current bite looks like.  It involves using a dental tray and some play-dough type material.  The tray is inserted in your mouth for five minutes and held there firmly by the dental assistant until the dough begins to harden.

I won't lie.  It was tough to get through.  In fact, I goofed the top tray pretty badly because I felt like I was going to throw up.  Thankfully, the dental assistant let me take it out before that happened.  We ended up using quite a bit of topical numbing medication on my top palette.  Once she applied it, I had no problem finishing the impressions.  (Whew!)

One of the questions I asked about the Six Month Smile procedure was -- will it hurt more because the whole process takes six months rather than the normal one to two years?  I've been told no, but I guess only time will really tell!  (Of course, I can't compare it to having regular braces since I only experienced the retainer side of things in grade school.)

In one month, I'll get my braces!  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. My dentist is also an orthodontist, and he takes pictures of his patients’ progress to show them how well the braces are working. I hope your procedure goes well! It’s going to take some time and quite a bit of pain, but that will just be your teeth aligning and straightening. After the braces, you’ll most likely be fitted for retainers, which means they’ll need more impressions of your NEW AND IMPROVED teeth. The retainers will be prescribed to ensure that you don’t experience a relapse of misalignment.

    Cody Zieba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand wanting your teeth straightened. I went through the same thing when I was about 15. I started noticing that my bottom teeth looked wonky, so for my 16th birthday, my parents got me braces. We found a highly recommended and very reliable orthodontist who really took care of me and my teeth. She insisted on monthly check-ups to be sure that the braces were doing their job. I hope your experience with braces will be a good one!

    -- Thanh Arnett

    ReplyDelete