Thursday, August 2, 2012

10 Things Your Dentist Will Never Tell You About Braces

So, after six weeks of fun, I feel fairly well initiated into the braces "lifestyle".  And just like labor and delivery, there are things that NO ONE will ever tell you.  You just have to experience it for yourself!  Without further ado...here's my list of things no one will ever tell you about what getting and having braces is really like.

1)  When your dentist/orthodontist puts braces on, he or she will need to hold your tongue in place using a "tongue retractor."  Reason being is that they need to keep your teeth very dry to make the brackets adhere.  This torture device -- I mean, tool -- didn't work for me.  It hurt to get into place!  I have a very small mouth, so maybe that was the problem.  Truly, I think the problem is with the guy (or gal) who designed the darn thing.  If they can't fit that in your mouth, they'll use a large, soft rubber circle (looks like a huge bracelet) to prop your lips open.  No pain involved there.  I'd highly recommend you ask for that instead of the dreaded tongue retractor.

2) It doesn't matter what you eat, stuff is going to get stuck in your braces.  If you eat a salad for lunch, I guarantee you'll find a piece of lettuce entwined in your back teeth later.  Don't even get me started on how pasta -- or an entire chicken sandwich -- can hide out for hours in your braces.  Gross.  Bottom line: bring a toothbrush to work and make sure you brush after lunch.

3) Your lips/cheeks will be stuck inside your brackets every morning when you wake up.  It's not pleasant, but as your mouth dries out at night, your lips and gums seem to find their way into your brackets.  For me, it's my lower lip.  Your best bet?  Make sure you put a bunch of dental wax on at night to protect those areas that are most susceptible to being pinched.

4) Your bite will change. I've gone through stages where I suddenly feel that nothing "matches up" anymore.  Meaning, when I bite into my food, my teeth don't feel like they're meeting properly.  I've bitten the heck out of the inside of my cheek a couple times. The reason for this is that your teeth are moving and shifting.  And, the top and bottom aren't always going to align perfectly as you transition to your new smile.  A few days later, I'll adjust to my new way of eating.  Take smaller bites than you did before braces and chew carefully.

5) I've said it before and I'll say it again -- dental wax is the only way to survive. As you get more adept at applying it, you'll use less and less.  Buy stock in the stuff and don't skimp!

6) Your teeth will ache randomly and then they'll be fine a day later.  I can only chalk this up to the fact that they may be adjusting to their new place -- or they just may be shifting slightly.  Take some Tylenol or Motrin (with food) and wait it out.  
 
7) You'll have to learn to floss a whole new way.  Because of the wire going across your braces, you won't be able to floss like you used to.  Instead, your dentist or orthdontist will give you special floss that can fit under each wire.  You'll need to do each tooth individually.  No one will tell you this before you get braces, but the whole maintenance and cleaning of your mouth takes a LONG time at night.

8) Speaking of, brushing your teeth is downright disgusting and challenging at the same time.  You had NO idea how much stuff really was stuck in your mouth.  Every time you spit out some toothpaste, a bunch of food particles will come out too.  Of course, that's the goal of brushing, but before you had braces, you never "stored it for later" either. It's also a bit tricky to brush because you don't want to pull on the wires or brackets.

9) If your toddler gleefully tosses her blanket over your head and then pulls it off quickly in a game of peek-a-boo, make sure you're not laughing out loud with your teeth showing.  It's very probable -- and downright likely -- that a spare thread from the blanket will get caught in your front brackets and blow your mind with pain and she whips the blanket away.  Ouch. Sorry. No solution to that problem here.

10)Your teeth won't seem like they're changing much at first, and then suddenly you'll realize that your mouth looks just a bit different.  Take photos and keep track of your progress. It makes a lot of the pain worth it!




29 comments:

  1. Nowadays a cosmetic dental surgical procedure may have additional than a single dentist, and also the up marketplace practices may have dental hygienists and aesthetic gurus available that will help you together with your decision of solutions.arizona family dentistry is one of the best,its proven and tested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Dentist in your area. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about Dentist. Keep it up! This is a good read.
    Oral and maxillofacial radiology is the study and radiologic interpretation of oral and maxillofacial diseases.
    Have you sustained any serious injury to the soft tissues of the mouth? Find a Dentist Wakefield MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post..
    Braces restores crooked, overlapping, or twisted teeth back in shape. Well this post is very beneficial for those who are planning to have braces.Rochester hills dentist

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at the bit about the vacuum thing they put in your mouth. thats what I had, I was near laughing at myself in the chair. I was expecting him to ask me to walk around the corners and suck up dust for him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. pediatric dentist pearland

    Karsil Dental Professionals in Pearland, Texas provides optimal family and restorative dentistry by treating your mouth as part of your whole body. The result is long-lasting comfort, function, and naturally beautiful teeth six month smile braces


    ReplyDelete
  6. Flossing is one thing you should focus on when keeping your teeth and braces clean. It would be best to ask the dentist on the easiest and most efficient way to floss, so you don’t get frustrated when you have to do it yourself, or hit your still-aching gums when you do so.

    Cody

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Number 2 is definitely spot on. My brushing habit went from 2 times a day before the braces to at least 5, counting those breaks before and after lunch at work. You really have to brush them unless you want to show what you just ate every time you flash a smile to whoever you're talking to.

    Agripina @ Smiles of Cary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since you are going to look for a dentist in Simi Valley, whom you are going to trust with your teeth throughout your lifetime, you need to make a right decision. Here, let us see how can find the best Dentist in Emergency Dentist? The best option you may have is to ask the people around. Definitely, you would want your Family Emergency Dentist, to have his clinic somewhere near your house, for easy accessibility.

    sterling heights dentist

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tylenol will definitely be your best friend should you decide to get braces, especially during the first few weeks of having them, and every subsequent trip to the dentist to get your braces adjusted. So it would be best to stock up for the long haul and buy in bulk.

    Thomas DeFinnis @ Wynnewood Dental Arts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. My dentist also didn't tell me that my lips would appear more duck like :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'm the author of that article.

      Delete
    2. Furthermore, you need to doubl check your sources before you begin making accusations online. I have every right to post my own articles on Yahoo voices and here on my blog.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you 100%. I'm on week 3 of my six month smile. Dental wax is a lifesaving invention!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although my Makati Dentist didn't tell everything to me. At least, she take care my teeth very well. And now, I have a beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice blog, you have define 10 things about dentist. Thanks for sharing this information.

    implant dentistry alternatives Oakland

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree that we had NO idea how much stuff really was stuck in your mouth. Brush of regularly. http://www.esteticomanila.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing your experience but you see there's no reason to refuse for the treatment. :)
    http://poembliss.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  18. When she started making supper for Chuck she realized she was out of propane. georgia dental associates

    ReplyDelete
  19. well said i gain a new informative but when can i get relief from the pain? how long i have a pain?because due to my pain friend was afraid of getting a treatments. so can u suggest me any ideas ti reduce the pain quickly.

    Best Dental Clinic in OMR

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great words about your experience which is most helpful for gain a lot informative article.

    Best Dental Clinic in OMR

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really good post..I've been through all of this trouble this past two weeks..I'm waiting for the day this will get off from my mouth.😬😬

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really good post..I've been through all of this trouble this past two weeks..I'm waiting for the day this will get off from my mouth.😬😬

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Do you have photos of your progress? Can I see it? Actually, I am planning to have my braces from a Makati dental clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. dental insurance
    I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Allergies are extremely severe. tebcan.com has more information on the دكتور صدرية.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So it's important to get a a stethoscope that operates well for you and is reliable. Get info at menswelfare.com.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success.. dental implants London

    ReplyDelete