Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 5 - Relief (Slightly)

Day 5 of my Six Month Braces experience and I'm still feeling sore...but not QUITE as sore.  I think there may be light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm still waxing every bracket, which makes me look pretty ridiculous. (Although, my husband claims that he doesn't notice...isn't he sweet?) Today, I made it through the day with just one dose of Motrin.  Compared to the three doses I'd been on per day, I think that's saying something!

This evening, I'm not wearing any wax on the front brackets.  Yup, trying to toughen up those lips a little!  We'll see if it works.  It's not actually as bad as I thought!  I'm still putting quite a bit of wax on the side and back brackets.  I have a couple of small ulcerations on the inside of my cheeks and those are pretty painful.  But, other than that, I'm fine.

Because my brackets are covered with wax, I've started noticing more of the "tension" feeling from the wire.  I haven't seen any movement yet, but I sure feel the pressure.

I'm beginning to eat like a human being again, too.  Pasta for dinner tonight and the inside of some garlic bread!  YUM!  I also indulged in a fruit smoothie at Panera Bread today too.  Definitely making the most of my "soft foods" diet. 

My thoughts so far on "Six Month Braces":
* Painful brackets -- wish someone had warned me about how pokey they are
* Not as noticeable as I thought they would be

If you're considering the Six Month Braces for yourself, I'd want you to be aware of the initial pain and discomfort.  Of course, everyone's experience varies and there's probably some soul out there who's willing to tell me that he ate steak with no problem the same day he got braces.  But, for MOST adults out there, I'm willing to bet you'll feel a bit more pain than your dentist warns you about.

5 comments:

  1. Really happy I found your blog. I am 30 and plan on also doing 6 month braces later this year. I am currently doing research to be sure I know what I am getting myself into. I already had a consultation so I know that I am eligible. I just need to call and let them know I am ready to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! I'm so glad that my blog could help with your decision. There are a lot of choices out there and this one isn't the best for everyone. But, it seems to be working pretty well for me so far. Good luck with your decision!

      Delete
    2. I just wanted to let you know I took the plunge and got my Six Month Braces on Friday February 8th. It took a while to get the courage to do it. I am in discomfort now, but I know it will be worth it.

      Delete
  2. Me again. Day 4 and Ive also stopped putting wax on the front, but its the sides that are far worse. Im getting my bottom teeth done only and its the back two brackets on each side that seem the worst. Ouch ouch OUCH!

    Im also using Bonjela for mouth ulcers inside my cheeks and a dental mouth wash. Oh and small wire brushes for cleaning around the brackets after food and I not carry a toothbrush and paste on me all day. I dont think I appreciated the work that would go in to this but I hate the thought of food stuck in there after food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog today via Google, while searching for some way to endure the pain I'm in. I am on day 2 of my 6 month journey...and I have to say that I am really quite miserable....I'm hungry...the pressure on my teeth is painful, and the inside of my lips feel like hamburger. I've finally figured out the art of dental wax....USE IT! LOL. Anyway, just wanted to say that I fee better knowing that I will be able to eat again some day.....

    ReplyDelete