Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Week One in Braces

Here's what I look like after one week in my Six Month Smile braces! (No movement...but no pain, either!)


It's Tuesday -- exactly one week and a day since I had my Six Month Smile braces put on.  I'm actually amazed at how much better I've begun to cope in the last couple of days.  Last night, I inhaled (yes, not pretty) Parmesan chicken, Alfredo pasta and cake.  Not exactly all soft foods anymore!  I've also managed to chew grapes without much discomfort anymore.  And, I'm proud to announce that I'm officially off Motrin.

As far as discomfort, I'm still waxing nearly every bracket before I go to sleep at night.  It just makes for good mornings.  And, I've learned that if I eat carefully, I can leave the dental wax on for the most part.  I just stopped at Chick-Fil-A for my girls at lunch and did a not-so-shabby job eating a few chicken nuggets.

In the last 48 hours, I've noticed that I'm not thinking about my braces around the clock anymore.  There are moments that I actually forget they're in.  Several days ago, I was literally in pain around the clock and couldn't think of anything else.  I'm thrilled to tell you that I seem to be past that point for now.

My next appointment is in the middle of July.  I believe they'll be changing out the first wire at that piont.  (And my guess is that I'll be back on a diet of smoothies and cottage cheese for a few days.)  But for now, I'm doing much better!

2 comments:

  1. The first week is the most agonizing phase of this procedure, to the point that you’re almost questioning your decision of getting them in the first place. Living on mortin and inhaling food you can’t eat? One can never pay you enough to go back to that experience. Haha! Well, even though the pain is undeniably a torture, the results are surely worth it. After all, good things come to those who persevere, right? Have a good day!

    Ira Mann @ Soft Touch Dental

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the pain has subsided, you’ll get used to the feeling of the braces, that you’ll even forget they’re in there. I’m sure you're quite relieved now that you’re done with the worst part. Kudos to you for making it through!

    Krista Green @ Solana Beach Dentistry

    ReplyDelete