Monday, June 25, 2012

2 Weeks In Braces

Here I am (taken two days ago) -- you can hardly notice my braces -- one of the best things about having the Six Month Smile!

Two weeks ago today, I was in the dentist's chair getting "fitted" for my Six Month Braces.  So, what's new?  Well, I'm eating many of the same foods that I did before I got braces...just a bit differently.  I haven't been able to bite directly into a food that isn't inherently soft.  In other words, a big turkey and swiss sandwich is still out of the question.  However, I did join my five- and two-year-old little girls with a PB&J the other day.  I've found that I can chew my foods much more easily than I could just a week ago -- especially if I simply cut them up with a fork first.  (Last night, we ordered pizza and it was no problem.  We also enjoyed Chinese and the tender sweet and sour chicken was great!)

I'm still waxing most of my brackets before I go to sleep at night.  The wax stays on really well and I don't wake up with any indentations in my lips or gums like I did the first few nights.  I leave the wax on during the day and it stays put for the most part -- especially if I'm eating softer foods like applesauce or soups.

The most disgusting thing I've noticed?  If you don't take your wax off before eating a "real" meal, you end up eating it.  Gross.

The best thing about the Six Month Smile?  It doesn't seem to show up much in photos!  I'm adding a photo of my that we took this weekend while we were out at a playground.  No mouth full of metal here!

The pain factor is pretty minimal at this point.  I feel like I've recovered nicely from the process of the braces being put on and the tight wire.  I was warned that the first two weeks are the worst -- and now that they're over, I'm hoping for some smooth sailing until July 16th when I have my first wire changed.


2 comments:

  1. When I started to read your blog, I can’t wait to read every post and see the end-result! I saw your post in December, and I must say your six-month journey was well worth it! Braces do fix crooked teeth, crowding and improper bites. And you are living proof that braces can make one’s smile even more beautiful!

    Nannie Livingstone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You can hardly see the braces in the picture, unless you really zoom in to look at it. And it’s nice that you’re pretty much able to eat whatever food you like, although of course the harder or leaner fare is still off the table. Still, if you can eat pizza in braces without a problem, I say that’s a win right there. Cheers!

    Ted

    ReplyDelete